Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Twice the Family

I am thankful for all of my situations I have been faced with, especially since they all have molded me into becoming the person I am today.  I am not always
100% proud of my choices or decisions, but the beauty in life is htat we most often have another chance, to fogive, to improve, and to make the best of it all.
I have chosen to talk about a challenge I face, even today, with my son and his father.  My son's father and I split up when Gavin was 16 months old.  While any
break up is tough to with, I won't be discussing that.  We made a decision to give up and in htat the of Gavin's life and ours will be normal to Gavin but
certainly nothing I was ever familiar with.
I came from a very solid family, Sunday dinners, picnics, and evening fin in the back yard.  Most often it was my immediate family that brought all the fun and
joy.  The reality is, not all the rest of the world had that life.  When teh time came where my son could start communicating and asking the whys, I was very
sensitive to his feelings, assuming he felt he had missed out on what a family is.  It wasn't until my mother said to me; this is all that Gavin knows.  He knows his
mom and dad are not together.  SO it dawned on me, that Gavin has more than a family together.  He gets to twice the family.
As simple as that all sounds, it wasn't so simple, at one point it ached my  heart when I would see his smile when talking about the "other" mom.  It naturally is
going to crush any mom to know someone else is capable of loving and caring for you child, in time, that pain goes away and a sense of security for your child
takes over.  To know that others love him as much as you do, it helps make sense of the situation.  His father finding a stable family to raise him in is a
difficult mountain of emotions to climb, but you and will be able to overcome the challenge that you will face in a break up; as long as the decision was made
for the greater good.
Giving up on a relationship is not an easy decision to make, not one that I would recommend.  I hope this gives many the opportunity to see that parents who
have chosen to seperate don't have to have a negative relationship when raising children.  Learn to compromise, learn to pick your battles, and learn to put
you children first.
As I stated in my first paragraph, I am not proud of all of my decisions, but all of my decisions are why I am where I am today!  So take a look at your decisions,
how'd you get to where you are standing today?  Ever think about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment